Display password stored in System Properties


I had to look at an existing interface in production which sends data to an external system. The interface is working well but we don’t have any documentation. I like to use POSTMAN to send some test requests to figure out how the API works. Unfortunately, the API password is kept in a System Properties and is masked and encrypted.



I struggled for a while until I realized, since System Properties are meant to be accessible by code, it means, I can easily retrieve and display the value from code. So I created an automation script on the Save event of the ASSET object to display the value:



The code has a filter on a specific asset to minimize the chance it can cause trouble to other end-users who might update Asset data while I’m doing this. This is my favorite approach when I want to run some code on production.




3 comments:

  1. hahaahhaha!! Nice trick to recovery some miss password.

    ReplyDelete
  2. another way is using browser's dev tool (F12 / Ctrl+Shift+C / Click on Global Textbox), it will show everything

    ReplyDelete