Framework Manager crashes when creating Project

I tried to create a new Framework Manager project to build a package which I will join some big Maximo tables (Assets, Workorder etc.) with some general geo/demographical data I pulled from the Web. Framework Manager kept crashing with this annoying error. After some quick search on the web, I realized the issue with FM crashing is not uncommon, and there can be a thousand reasons for that. To be honest, from the perspective of a software developer, most of these are simple and stupid exceptions which should be caught or fixed easily by the Cognos R&D team. Good software should give the end-users useful error messages about what they did wrong. But anyway, this is not another post to complain, just a quick note on another crash scenario so you can avoid:


Problem: when trying to create a new project and include the tables/object to import, Framework Manager took 10-15 minutes to process, then crashed:


Cause: In this case, because the GEO database I created only contains a few simple tables, I assumed I could just tick on it to import all tables in the database. What I did wrong was, I should only pick the tables I created. By ticking on the database entry, FM will try to import every system object included in the database (functions, sys tables, users, etc.) and it caused trouble.


 

Solution: Should always select only the tables we want to use:




No comments:

Post a Comment